Today- I feel well liked.
Lately I have been feeling discouraged. I did not get into University of Washington. This is okay. I only wanted to go there because it's in Seattle. But, rejection is never fun. I was feeling very discouraged because I haven't heard from anyone. Zip zero zilch. I found out that I didn't get into UW via email. I asked a professor I had spoken with if I could visit. He awkwardly responded telling me I didn't get in. I know my test scores are what kept me from getting in. The thing that's hard for me to wrap my peanut brain around is: how can test scores matter that much? I don't even have terrible test scores. I was below average in my vocab but above average in my writing and qualitative. I don't understand how test scores matter so much. So I'm not good with words. But clearly I can write decently, do math, and most importantly work hard.
But as I said- today I feel well liked. Today I found out that I am Senior of the Year for the Geology Department. This is exciting. I also found out that Mickey, my advisor, sent an email to a man at Utah State saying it would be a mistake not to accept me. That I deserve an RA (research assistantship) but would also make an exceptional TA as I already have experience. He then went on to say that I am doing a great job teaching 101.
Not to boast. But this is huge. This complement from Mickey Gunter is virtually as good as is gets. Mickey Gunter once told me he is probably the 4th best person in the world in his field. Tom Williams (another facility member) told me later that realistically Mickey is the 2nd best. To get a complement from a world class mineralogist is unreal.
Welp. Keep wishing, and hoping, and thinking, and praying for Utah State :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-MVAzdUK4
you'll be an asset wherever you land (i'm hoping it's utah too!)
ReplyDelete