Thursday, October 8, 2009

Reason number 72 why Geology is a great major



Last weekend I went to Challis for a Sed/Strat field trip.
It was quiet cold. But my zero degree NF down sleeping bag I invested in this summer kept me nice and warm. :)
I picked up an impressive amount of rocks. The majority of which containing fossils. I picked up a lot of brachs, rugose coral, some thamnopora tabulates, and a few others. A whole chaco's box worth!
The middle picture is my favorite rock yet! It's a Packstone packed ( a little geology humor if you will) with all sorts of coral! I have yet to identify them all. Most of them are tabulates with a few crinoids and rugose.
I was too lazy to add a scale to my pictures. But the top two are roughly quarter sized brachs from the "three forks formation" from the Devonian.
My professor invited me to work with him on a project describing the different species there.
I have yet to commit but I'm thinking it's a good opportunity to get a grad school reference letter! :)

2 comments:

  1. Packstone packed? what the what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... I have NO IDEA what you're talking about. But I like your rocks!

    ReplyDelete